A week went on like this and Peter came to know that Tina was one of the main reasons Niki was surviving at all. During the week he had gotten to speak to Tina much and though their introduction had been rocky at best he was seeing in her the spark Niki used to have. Tina was able to give him more insight into the woman Niki used to be, and he tells her more of what she had become. Over the week working together and with Jessica keeping Niki from knowing they had cleaned up a few of the rooms so that they could remain temporarily there 24/7. Over the week of constant observation they saw that though Niki had spiraled quite quickly into her own reality, Jessica was slowly being driven mad herself by Niki and her forced isolation, as well as her guilt in not being able to protect Niki enough. It was decided that the next time Jessica was able to gain control they would start to make plans. Niki and Jessica both despised hospitals so that was out of the question. The only way they could help would be on their own. Niki had been complaining since early that morning, about it being too quiet, that Jessica wasn't speaking to her much. The others realized this was Jessica biding her strength and time so that they might speak that night. The few minutes they had spoken to her at the beginning of the week she had attempted to quickly explain how things worked for her. That it might be possible that lying in wait as she had done for years even briefly might once again give her an edge to take control for longer. Her voice had turned fearful at the time as she slipped into her own paranoia of Niki gaining strength to shut her down for good. She practically begged them to remember that she was always there listening and watching and to if it didn’t work and she lost more control of herself to not let her be all alone again, to still speak to her and try to help her get control again. Over the week, sometimes they had realized the fear they were seeing in Niki's eyes at time really wasn't her own. ************** They had been finishing up dinner when Niki's face suddenly went blank. They were used to this signal of the change by now but something seemed to be wrong. Enough time had passed for someone to have exerted control. Peter moved closer and touched her shoulder hoping for a response. When he got none, he looked over at Tina nervously. He shook her shoulder hoping to get something out of her. There wasn't even Niki's normal response of becoming tense. Peter was getting worried that Jessica's plan had in some way backfired. That the isolation Jessica decided to do to herself had been the final straw for both of them. He moved down in front of her looking at her straight in the eyes holding her shoulders, "Jessica? Are you there?" There was still no response and Peter could hear Tina starting to pace. He wasn't sure if this was Jessica trying to regain control or if Niki had suddenly completely gone into her own world. "Jessica! You said you could hear and see us no matter what. If you are trying to regain control please give us some way to know because right now we are not sure what is happening." There was still no response so Peter called back onto his training. He ran to the draw Niki kept small odds and ends in and came up with a flashlight. Going back to Niki he shined it into her eyes hoping for some reaction, but got nothing. Sighing, he put his head into his hands wondering if they really had lost her. Being there was nothing he could do for her at the moment he began clearing away the meal they had been having, carefully taking away the items around Niki. Tina's pacing behind him was becoming more frantic with worry. "What? Are you just giving up on her?!" she shouted at Peter. "There isn't anything we can do. Either Niki finally has shut down completely or Jessica is having a very hard time gaining control. We knew it was a possibility. She knew it too. She knew it better then any of us living this way for so long." "But there must be something we can do...a hospital or something. I know they don't want it..." "NO!" Peter said while practically slamming the plates into the sink. "That is the last thing they would want. They are both terrified of being locked up again. She's just having a hard time now, we get them into that situation..." Peter trailed off before continuing. "You know as well as I. Her history, her problems, she'll never get out." With that Peter walked over to Niki. He pulled on her arm to get her to stand happy to see at least enough of a reaction of compliance. Whatever made her Niki or Jessica might be out of commission, but some response was beginning to return. He guided her over to the bedroom and helped her lie down. He'd been in this situation before, caring for someone so clearly unresponsive, but this was the first time he had an emotional attachment to the person. He didn't want to see Niki, or Jessica, this way. And he wasn't sure which of them would be more affected by awakening after this. ********* Over the next few days they cared for her. Peter got Tina caught up on how to help someone in her condition and thru it all they tried to get some response out of her. They spoke to her both as if she was Niki and as if she was Jessica. They spoke to Niki of DL and Micah, not caring if bringing her around was just to trade one reality for another. They spoke to Jessica of how hard they knew it must be, how they knew she was trying desperately to protect Niki, and if it was easier to give up fighting for control at the moment to do so, that if she needed to rest she could. That they would not forget her or Niki that they were there to help both of them still. After another day of failure they turned in for the night it wasn't much later that a scream pierced the air and they were in Niki's room faster then either of them thought possible. Peter pulled her straight up and looked into her eyes. "Niki!" The screaming didn't stop. He tried again, "Jessica!" Suddenly some clarity came to her eyes and she seemed confused and quieted. Peter relaxed his hold as she looked at him blearily, "You heard me....finally, someone heard me...I've been screaming for so long." The sadness in her voice caused Peter to hate himself for agreeing to her plan. "Yes, Jessica. I hear you now." He could see the relief on her face and her attempting to calm herself and regain control of herself. She smiled at him nervously, "That was harder then I expected. I don't think I'll try that again." She looked at Tina and nodded her thanks. "Thank you both for keeping your promise and remembering what I said about being aware even when its Niki." "So it's been you all this time." "Yes, You all were...eating I think, when I finally was able to take control...but then I couldn't respond to you. She kept fighting back. She's very angry, she thinks I'll hurt Micah or DL again. My disappearing and reappearing has her thinking something from the past is happening again." Tina looked over. "That night I first met you..." "Yes, then when DL took Micah away, it might be in our favor she couldn't fight me as well then she might not attempt to as much now if she's in that time. So, I guess its time we had our talk on what to do about our situation." **************